Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Day Alone

Japan has been great, though alone time seems to be pretty scarce. No complaints but I've been spending so much time with my brother I almost forgot what it was like to be by myself. Well today I got to remember. Spent the morning talking to some friends on FB. Got to catch up before doing some stretching and cleaning around the house. Then I went to Kamakura for a burger and some walking around. Bought some postcards to send people.

It's strange, I guess I've only been here 5 days, but I don't really miss home or anyone yet. I keep feeling like I should and I keep waiting for that familiar homesick feeling to set in but it hasn't yet. We'll see.

Oh I almost forgot. I went to get a haircut the other day. We were walking around Fujisawa doing some shopping and we happened upon an old barbershop that Jesse knew. He said I could use a trim if I'm going to be getting a job as an English teacher so we went on in. It looked like a normal barber shop but boy these people were pros. It was one of the shortest haircuts I've ever had (in terms of length of hair cut) and one of the longest (in terms of how long it took). Now this guy was a pro. He had his black belt in barbery. There was a picture of him getting his black belt. He was punching through a wooden board with a pair of shears while giving some guy a hair cut. Impressive doesn't quite capture it. Frightening is a little better.

Anyways, the actual hair cut was over in just a few minutes. What proceeded was perhaps the most pampered 45 minutes of my life. I was massaged, shampooed, shaved, massaged, moisturized, and dried off and sent on my way. It was awesome. I got such a great shave and back rub. Some day I hope to meet a woman who will so lovingly scrape a 4" piece of sharpened metal across my bearded face. I mean the lady who shaved my face was like a surgeon. I don't know how she did it but she managed somehow to fit that huge blade up my nose so she could shave some of the hair up there. It took all of my self control to not sneeze or breathe.

If you ever find yourself in Fujisawa and need a trim hit me up. I will personally walk you to this place. I could always use a good back rub.

~=0=~

No comments:

Post a Comment